Monday, November 24, 2008

D.Scott on I Am...Sasha Fierce


As I told you all last week, this weekend I reviewed Beyonce’s new album; I Am…Sasha Fierce! I must say I am feeling a majority of the songs on the album. I purchased the deluxe edition from itunes on Thursday night and have been rocking it ever since. Although a huge portion of the album sounds like a Leona Lewis, Beyonce Knowles, Solange Knowles, Rihanna, and Mariah Carey infusion, it is mainly on her ballads, where Bey remains true to her roots and shows growth, and vocal stability. As the once “Dangerously In Love” Beyonce Knowles, has transitioned to a married Mrs. Carter. For example song’s like “Disappear”, “Save the Hero”, and “Smash Into You” reveals Beyonce’s inner thoughts and feelings in regards to her love life and her superstar persona. The repetitious lyrics persuade you to sing along, and fall into Bey’s world. Accordingly very distant from “Dangerously in Love”, however the songs are still Bey influenced, with an obviously new twang or shall I say sleepy tone.

When Beyonce’s stage personality, Sasha Fierce, steps on the scene for the second album, it is unclear if this Sasha Fierce is a derivative of Beyonce, or just an entire new person all together. She invites us to see an edgier side of herself or the new personality; as her accent, lyrics, an attitude take a complete 180. The swagger shift is evident on “Radio”, a track in which Beyonce enunciates in the strangest way. This song has yet to grow on me, as I am still trying to discover its purpose and the actual topic of the song.

Her latest single “Diva”, with it’s in your face lyrics, and sassy attitude, Bey or Sasha, tells us that she is a diva, which by the way is the female version of hustler. WTF!! How does that equate? Although the statement makes no sense, and seems pretty Solo like to me, the catchy beat and throw back “Soldier” feel, made me like it. I couldn’t help but sing a-long, in true Beyonce style, the same lyrics played over and over in my head. That will be a huge single, as many of her fans are not used to that type of mess coming out here mouth…Thanks HOV!

On “Sweet Dreams” which is the ultimate pop/dance song, the track resembles the sound of something straight out of Rihanna’s library, maybe that’s why I love it? One of my other personal favorites, “Video Phone” is hot all together. The sexy song in which Bey sings about making a video for her boo, this concept confirms the idea that she is not all straight and narrow. She says “you want me naked, if you liking this position you can tape it”, if that’s not bold then I don’t know what is! LOVESIT! (This should have been the next single) Good song, but on one line in particular she sounds just like the Barbados born pop star, that is Rihanna! Maybe Sasha and Rih Rih are related?

Press fast forward to “Ego”, definitely a play on words, as she tells her love interests ego is “to big, wide, and doesn’t fit”, hmmmm, Ok B, whatever you say…Its cool to be turned out! Thanks for confirming what we all knew.

To sum it all up, the album is to say the least, different. Beyonce has broken down, her self made wall and fully emerged who she says is Sasha Fierce. Maybe this is who she really is, or maybe this is all just for the fans, either way, the outcome is quit interesting. Overall it is an award worthy album as many of the tracks are guaranteed billboard chart topping singles. Although the over all influence is unclear, I am more than sure, Mrs. Knowles-Carter is trying to make her mark as one the greatest of all times! Watch out now. After this she can finally get of the limelight, and let some of the other chicks get some shine, maybe continue to further that acting career…LMAO!

No comments: